......

I got on the train at Mornington Crescent and I want to go to Mexico!!!

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

La Malinche Volcano completed!!

Well we´ve done it!!!


Conquered La Malinche - the 5th highest mountain in Mexico - a total ascent of 1461 metres (from a starting altitude of 3000 metres). We conquered the altitude, several cases of traveller´s tummy, the freezing hand and toe numbing cold, the slippery volcano ash (two steps forward, one step back) and the optimistically named "boulder scramble" (aka. rock climbing) - to the summit. But we all made it - all 14 of us!!


I don´t think I have ever done or will ever do anything that phyiscally and emotionally challenging again. I have to admit I had wee cry when I got to the top and so did a few others!! Photos will follow - but until I can get a memory card reader or USB cable here is one from the internet from where we camped on Monday night at the tree line (3800 m). It really doesn´t do it justice! We started climbing this last bit at 3 am in the dark!!!
Next stop Oaxaca and the Sierra Norte Trek.
Hasta Luego!!

No comments: